Monday, January 18, 2010

Using travel time effectively

My house is 52.6 mi away from school so I have about an hour in the car on the way there and back.

This week I have been researching podcast resources to listen to on the way to and from school. I admit that I usually listen to music of my choice, but my goal is to listen to at least one podcast session a week. Here is why I challenge you to do the same:

INTASC (Interstate New Teachers Assessment and Support Consortium) Principle 9 encourages teachers to seek out opportunities to grow professionally.

Podcasts are generally free and can be quickly downloaded on your Ipod. Also, you can search for specific areas of interest that meet your needs. If you are dealing with behavior issues, you can find a Podcast that talks about various methods of classroom management. If you simply need a fresh idea on how to differentiate a lesson plan, you can also find a Podcast about differentiated instruction.

There are plenty of free resources teachers can use to grow professionally. Especially as a student teacher, we can use every piece of advice that is offered to us. At the very least, we will hear how other teachers are doing things - and begin to challenge ourselves to be risk takers in the classroom.

Podcasts I recommend:

NPR Education Podcast:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=17350298

Save the Teacher! Podcast: (Check out the risk taking episode)
http://save-the-teacher.podomatic.com/

Teacher Created Materials Podcast:
http://www.teachercreatedmaterials.com/podcasts/

4 comments:

  1. Jincy, I love that you love teaching, students, and journalism. It really inspires me to find my passion!
    Melissa Wickens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget that the NMSA also has free ipods about education! I listen to them and sometimes ask my EDJHM 385 students to listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea!!! Will you teach me how to do this sometime? I'd love to know how!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jincy,

    What a great idea. I usually listen to audio books, but this is a great alternative. I'm so glad you are dedicated to what you do. It is such a break from the negativity I hear from current student teachers and professionals.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete